Small update, I made a YouTube video showing off the ability to keep assets in-game updated with their version on the filesystem. I decided to verbally explain the changes as I made them similar to how Wolfire makes their update videos for Overgrowth. I got a lot of positive feedback about it, so I’m probably going to continue this style of video for all future updates.
I do software things sometimes
Blog Posts by Tag
So I’ve spent the past few days implementing shadow mapping in TopHat.
It’s been a busy few months for me, I haven’t had a whole lot of time to write blog posts as I finished my first semester at RPI, had an action-packed winter break, and completed my first year at RPI. So here’s one really long post about everything I would have posted individually had I the time.
MineEscape is our entry for the RPI game dev club’s game jam on 10/27/2012.
This is the technical postmortem for the game I made earlier this weekend, “60 Sekonds to Save Boxopolis”. The game was made as an entry for a 24-hour game jam hosted by RPI’s game development club.
In this blog post I’m going to describe the state management system I’ve built for my most recent game, the reasoning behind my design choices, and most importantly the steps I took to build that system and the issues that pushed me to build a bigger system. I’ll start writing posts like this more often if I get a lot of positive feedback. Writing these posts is a win for everyone, since you guys get to skip the trial-and-error that I had to go through and I’ll get to look at my code in closer detail and try to improve it. Anyways, on to the post itself…
Now that I just moved to a new domain, I think it’s an excellent time to write a large post about everything I’ve been doing over the last year or so, and start writing regularly on this blog.
I’m working on a new project with a whole bunch of friends and I just tried implementing multitexturing for the terrain. When I first tested it, I had the texture weight values incorrectly calculated so that only the bottom third had positive values and it looked pretty cool so I snapped some screenshots of it. I’m not sure why everything above the textured areas are blue, but I’m guessing it has to do with transparency and the background color.
Last friday night I noticed I was starting to lose motivation in the larger projects I was working on, and I wanted to challenge myself a bit, so I decided to give myself about 5 hours to make a clone of minesweeper, with my own art and all. I decided to record the whole thing with hypercam as a timelapse. I successfully completed the project within 5 hours, and the timelapse is now available on YouTube:
This last summer has been really busy, but really awesome. I never got a chance to actually post any updates on what I’ve been doing, so I’m just going to recap everything with as many in-development screenshots as I have taken. Most, if not all of my work is versioned by git, and hosted on my own home “server” which is just a repurposed Dell desktop from around 2004. If I find I don’t have sufficient images, I’ll checkout old commits and take screenshots for this post.
Circuit Crawler is now on the Android market! 100% of all proceeds will go to the Youth for Technology Foundation to help children in Africa and the poorest parts of America get access to the technology that most of us take for granted.
Here’s a level editor I’ve made in a week or two, full game released on March 30th.
So this is what I’ve been working on for the past while, I didn’t post the first video, so here’s both of them in a single post.
So I’ve dived right into OpenGL on the Android platform with a few of my friends. Currently we’ve got the following working: